dietexercisehealthy eating November 14, 2011

Update for Week 11 Phase Two

First of all, I apologize for failing to update my blog last week – things have really heated up in regard to my son and his wife adopting little Izze (watch for a blog post update on that later this week) and I have felt pretty paralyzed by all the legal drama.

So….I had a rather interesting weekend that is presenting a few challenges for the upcoming week. 

 I am still maintaining my weight, but bought a new pair of jeans on Saturday in a size 6 – I was wearing a size 10-12 prior to beginning this challenge.  In spite of the scale not moving I can see how much better my clothes are fitting and am content with that for now!  The scales will eventually “catch up”!

On Saturday I got an evil flu and was the sickest I can ever recall being.  I started about 4:00 p.m. and by 8:00 p.m. was passing out.  The first time I blacked out I was sitting down already, so no huge deal.  The second time I was so sick and “out of it” that I couldn’t call for help from my husband who was in the next room.  I knew I was in a bad way, but thought if I could just get to my bed and lay down I would be okay.  The next thing I know I am laying on the wood floor of my bedroom with my husband and son asking me what the heck was going on.  The best that we can surmise it that as I blacked out I hit the huge armoire in our bedroom and then fell face forward onto the floor.  It took me quite a while to sufficiently recover and be able to get back up with assistance and back to my bed.  My hip was on fire and my arm hurt so bad I could not move it.  My husband wanted me to go to the emergency room, but I was so sick I did not think I could make the trip down.  I kept saying if I could just get some sleep I would be fine.  Our neighbor is a paramedic and David (my husband) insisted on calling him for an opinion.  He was attending a football game and did not make it until 11:30 p.m.  By then I was pretty out of it and he figured I was severely dehydrated and that it was possible I had fractured my elbow, thus insisting I head to the emergency room.  I wasn’t really convinced that I needed to go, but was too weak to argue.  I made it as far as the garage and the next thing I knew had passed out again on the hood of the car.  At this point, I was pretty well convinced that I needed to head out.  

I was unable to walk into the ER and my husband went in for a wheelchair.  They pumped me full of 2 quarts of fluids, gave me 4 or more stitches in my elbow (fortunately NOT fractured, just deeply bruised and cut from the inside out), and sent me home with pain meds and anti-nausea meds.  It was 3 a.m. when we arrived back home.  Soooooo, for this week I am having to modify my exercises significantly to give my arm a much needed rest.  I am focusing on abs and legs, with some work on my left arm, but nothing on the right.  I simply cannot support myself and am pretty limited in my range of motion without stressing the right arm (yesterday I did not even have any feeling in my right hand due to the swelling).  My right upper thigh is extremely swollen (I look like I have a “saddle bag” on that side) and is very painful.  HOWEVER, I am determined to keep up with the workout.  This morning was pretty successful and I felt I had a good, although different, workout.  I rode the stationary bike for cardio.  Hopeful for a great week in spite of my setback and extremely grateful for an amazing husband who is so supportive.  He has been traveling a ton as of late, and had just returned home on Friday.  Not sure what I would have done if he was out of town.  Also, a huge shout out to my neighbor for his assistance – no telling what condition I would have been in by morning – you know, after “sleeping it off”.  Next time I am up until 3 a.m. I hope it is for something a whole lot more fun!!!!!

Here’s to a great week!